Development Director Job Description
The West Virginia Symphony Orchestra, West Virginia’s premier performing arts organization, presenting classical, pops, family and chamber-music concerts annually throughout the Mountain State announces the position of Director of Development. Celebrating its 80th anniversary season in 2019-2020, the WVSO is a proud member of the community and makes great music to inspire and enrich our region. The WVSO serves the region by providing affordable, high-quality concerts, collaborations with West Virginia arts organizations and a nationally award-winning education program.
Title: Development Director
Reports to: WVSO President
Liaison to: The Board of Directors
Oversees: Grants Manager, Annual Fund Coordinator (shared position)
Location: Headquarters are in Charleston, WV, with satellite performance locations throughout the state
Hours/Classification: full-time, including evenings and weekends/Exempt
The Opportunity: The WVSO is seeking a passionate advocate for symphonic music to serve as its Development Director. This individual will be an outstanding fundraiser and communicator who will partner closely with the WVSO President to build a culture of philanthropy in the organization, working to secure all unearned income for the WVSO and its supporting organizations: the WVSO Foundation, and the WVSO Regional Outreach Group
· Serve as an ambassador for the WVSO to build and strengthen relationships between organizational stakeholders and the WVSO to maximize fundraising efforts
· Help to develop and implement development calendar and solicitations to renewing, lapsed, and prospective donors
· Support stewardship and solicitation of donors, funders, and corporate sponsors by coordinating with President, staff and volunteers
· Work with Chair of Development Committee to organize and facilitate monthly meetings and assist with appropriate reporting to the Board and Executive Committees
· Arrange and participate in development meetings between appropriate WVSO representatives (staff and volunteer) and prospective donors
· Monitor grant submissions and grants calendar
· Ensure acknowledgement and recording of all contributions
· Ensure timely fulfillment of all pledges
· Organize solicitation and fulfillment of corporate sponsorships
· Work with staff to organize hospitality and marketing benefits for corporate sponsors and VIPs
· Oversee management of CRM with a willingness to learn the system.
· Support and encourage WVSO staff as development team leader
· Work with President and the Board to create and implement mission and vision of WVSO according to strategic plan
· Participate in WVSO committee meetings as deemed appropriate by the President
· Assist in identification of potential Board members
· Provide data to analyze historical fundraising trends and assist in development of organizational budget
· Manage annual raffle and other fundraising events.
· Oversee development expenses to be in alignment with organizational budget
Requirements: A bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably with a background in the arts.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
The WVSO is an equal opportunity employer. No discrimination shall in any manner be directed toward or practiced or imposed upon any employee who shall apply for or be engaged as an employee hereunder with respect to any right, benefit or privilege herein set forth or because of sex, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or reasonably accommodated handicap, or by reason of such employee exercising any rights hereunder, nor shall any favoritism or partiality be shown or any advantage given any such employee with respect to any duty, obligation or responsibility imposed hereunder because of such employee's sex, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or reasonably accommodated handicap, or by reason of such employee exercising any right hereunder.
To apply: Please send materials including a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org